Cecilia is the Global Head of LEGO.com and Consumer Experience at the LEGO Group. Her career spans over 14 years at LEGO and encompasses product development, customer experience, customer insight in addition to her most recent role driving the online transformation of the company.
Part of the turnaround that helped take the LEGO Group from the brink of bankruptcy in 2003 to delivering 10 years of year-on-year double digit growth and displacing Ferrari as the world’s most powerful brand in 2015 – Cecilia’s achievements include designing several best-selling toy lines, driving consumer focused innovation in products and services and defining the iconic LEGO brand in customer experience across touchpoints. Most recently, driving the digital transformation in content marketing and infrastructure while simultaneously growing engagement and reach of the site, totaling over 217 million in 2014 alone.
In addition to bridging the diverse areas of business development and design, she also set up the LEGO Learning Institute, now part of the LEGO Foundation and home of academic research collaboration with the MIT Media Lab, and other well-known institutions around the world. Cecilia earned her BA in Product Design from Central Saint Martins in 2001, and her TRIUM Executive MBA from HEC Paris, NYU Stern School of Business and London School of Economics and Political Science in 2012. In 2014 she was appointed Visiting Fellow to the University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martins School of Art and Design in recognition for her achievements.
Beyond her work at the LEGO Group, Cecilia and her fiancée Jon have helped a social enterprise, Riders for Health, scale their impact and save millions of lives through developing a safe storage transport for AIDS samples, funded by the Clinton, Gates and Skoll Foundations. Cecilia has also worked with a children’s charity funded by the United Nations to empower young people to be the change they want to see in their local communities and tell stories that matter to them. She is forever curious about how play, learning and creativity support innovation and reaching our full potential as human beings and continues to experiment as a blogger, artist and musician in her spare time.
2008 Front End of Innovation Europe, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2009 Grid Conference, Bonnier, Stockholm, Sweden http://vimeo.com/26712739
2010 Customer Experience Exchange, IQPC, Monaco
2012 Design and Emotion Conference, London, UK http://www.designandemotion.org
2012 Customer Experience Exchange, TEN Executive Network, London, UK http://t-e-n.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/CE-COM-20123.pdf
2014 Global Design Forum, London, UK http://www.globaldesignforum.com/global-design-forum-2014/
2014 Alix Partners Forum: Value Creation in a Low Growth World, London, UK
2015 SXSW 2015: Playing to Learn: Lessons from Game Design Gurus, Austin, TX http://www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/2014/08/12/vote-for-our-sxsw-2015-panel-playing-to-learn-lessons-from-game-design-gurus/
2015 UX London http://2015.uxlondon.com, London, UK
WHITE PAPERS (available at ceciliaweckstrom.com/downloads)
- Weckstrom, C., (2011) Consumer Driven Innovation Part II: Using Technology to Fuel Real-Time Feedback and Innovation
- Weckstrom, C., (2011) Consumer-Driven Innovation: Finding the Right Consumer-centered Innovation Methods
- Ackerman, E., Gauntlett, D., Thomsen,B., Weckstrom, C., Whitebread, D., Wolbers, T., (2011) Future of Learning, Billund, The LEGO Learning Institute
- Ackerman, E., Gauntlett, D., Weckstrom, C., Whitebread, D., Wolbers, T., (2010) Future of Play, Billund, The LEGO Learning Institute
- Ackerman, E., Gauntlett, D., Weckstrom, C., Wolbers, T., (2009) Defining Systematic Creativity in the Digital Realm, Billund, The LEGO Learning Institute
- Ackerman, E., Gauntlett, D., Weckstrom, C. (2008) Defining Systematic Creativity, Billund, The LEGO Learning Institute
- Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas and Design Effective Solutions, B. Martin, B Hanington, Rockport Publishing, Minneapolis, 2012 get it here
- Making is Connecting: The Social Meaning of Creativity, from DIY and Knitting to YouTube and Web 2.0, D. Gauntlett, Polity Press, Cambridge, 2011 get it here
- The Power of Co-creation: Build it with them to boost Growth, Productivity and Profits, V. Ramaswamy, F. Guillart, Free Press, New York, 2010 get it here
Books I have worked on ( a long time ago now :))
- PACHAMAMA – Our Earth, Our Future, Evans Brothers, London, UK 1999
- SCOPE 58, Sustainability Indicators, Report of the Project on Indicators for Sustainable Development, B. Moldan & S. Billharz eds., Wiley, London, UK 1997
- A World in Our Hands: in Honour of the 50th Anniversary of the United Nations, Tricycle Press, California 1995